Summer weather in Redford can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to make it easy.
The best thing you can do to stay comfy and maintain energy efficiency is by servicing your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system running at its best and efficiently, and Airtronic Heating & Cooling is here to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure proper system airflow.
Another critical piece to remaining cool is routinely checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can increase energy expenses and damage your equipment, which may lead to early failure. Our Airtronic Heating & Cooling professionals will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you routinely would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people routinely forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your house.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Airtronic Heating & Cooling at call at 313-230-4053 or request an appointment with us online.